23rd Apr, 2009 | Source : Graduate Management Admission Council
Business is much more than just a job. All around you, business is happening constantly, in ways large and small. But the visible face of business, from McDonald’s to Microsoft, is only part of the picture. The real art and science of business begins with the human imagination.
Here are a few business facts that might surprise you:
- Bill Bowerman, the co-founder of Nike, got his first shoe idea after staring at a waffle iron.
- Worried about telling his wife he owed $40 on an Apollo 13 video rental, Reed Hastings wondered why movie rentals didn’t work like health clubs, with a flat fee for use. He went on to found Netflix.
- By working with its private-label suppliers to redesign the packaging of some 300 toys, Wal-Mart saved more than 3,800 trees and 1,000 barrels of oil – and more than $2.4 million a year in freight costs.
The business world is where ideas become actualities─and that is everywhere, affecting everyone. In a larger sense, business is about managing resources, from people and natural resources to capital and products. Business education can prepare you for the world of commerce and beyond. Why a graduate business degree?
Going to business school can help you
- Develop your professional and leadership skills. Business school marries theoretical knowledge and real-world skill development to help prepare you to understand the world and build a place for yourself in it.
- Open up opportunities. Degrees like the MBA are highly respected around the world and can open doors in a variety of sectors. A graduate business degree will give you a leg up, not just on the corporate ladder, but in fields as diverse as education, healthcare, government, and the nonprofit sector.
- Invest in yourself. Hiring surveys consistently show recent MBAs make around 75 percent more than those who recently earned bachelor’s degrees.
- Have more to give back. What you learn in business school will enhance your career and help you contribute to the world around you, in addition to helping get you into positions where you can make a bigger difference.
For more information about graduate management education, go to mba.com. The official site of the Graduate Management Admission Test is also the premier portal for learning about and applying to graduate business school.