Center for Distance Education
1101 Fifth Street
West Des Moines, IA 50265
152 years of experience: Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, not-for-profit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs and leadership development opportunities to approximately 6,600 students-nationally and internationally-at various campuses and learning centers worldwide. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and independent study.
Upper Iowa University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org).
Nationally Regarded Distance Learning Programs: Programs are designed to meet the needs of working adults. You can "be in class" any time of the day that fits your schedule. We know your time is scarce, so there are never any required on-campus or residential requirements to complete your degree.
Online Program: In UIU's Online Program you will interact with your classmates and the instructor in course discussions, and individual and collaborative assignments. Courses are offered in convenient and effective 8-week terms and are led by supportive and caring faculty members, who combine strong academic qualifications with extensive real-world experience. You do not need to sacrifice academic quality for the convenience of an affordable online program. 24/7/365 technical support is available by toll-free telephone, email, and within the course delivery platform.
Independent Study Program: The program started in 1973 and was one of the first of its kind in the nation. The paper/email based independent study program offers self guided courses, structured around written assignments and proctored exams. The Independent Study Program allows you to advance your education from any location, at any time. Internet access though helpful is not required.
Why Choose UIU?
- Nationally recognized leader in distance education offering online and independent study.
- Offer Post-secondary degree programs for adult learners worldwide.
- Masters Programs in three popular fields
- Bachelor’s degrees programs with 17 majors available. Applicants may transfer up to 90 hours of undergraduate credits
- Open enrollment - apply anytime in the year and start working toward your degree completion in any of six annual terms
- Flexibility - perfect for adult students who are trying to juggle the demands of their career and family while working on their degree
- Convenient - work on your class anytime of day - if you have access to the Internet, your home or office computer brings your class directly to you, no matter where you are in the world.
- Excellent customer service - work with knowledgeable academic advisors.
- Internationally-recruited faculty members with superior academic qualifications combined with extensive practitioner experience.
- No onsite residency requirement.
- UIU recognized as one of the top 60 military friendly colleges by Military Advanced Education magazine.
- GI Jobs magazine placed UIU in the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace America’s veterans as students.
- GetEducated.com has named several of UIU’s online degrees a "Best Buy" in their prestigious rankings.
- The UIU Online Program is one of the top ranked online programs in the nation according to Online Education Database among over 40 programs evaluated.
- Tuition that fits your budget
- Veterans benefits - Upper Iowa is a proud member of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 Yellow Ribbon Program.
Academic Programs of Study: Certificates, Associate of Arts, Bachelor of Science and Masters Programs are available.
How do I get started?
We understand there are many considerations when beginning or returning to college. Our admissions advisors are here to help answer questions and provide tentative evaluations of your transcripts as well as provide support throughout your degree completion. Contact us by phone at 800-603-3756 or email us at , for assistance. You may also visit our website at www.uiu.edu/newsweek.