Love is a many splendored thing
and very surprising thing, too. As if you needed proof of that, here are 25 funny little facts about love. Study them, scratch your head over them, and share them with someone you fancy.
1. Men who kiss their wives in the morning live five years longer than those who don't.
2. The oldest known love song was written 4,000 years ago and comes from an area between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.
3. When it comes to doing the deed early in the relationship, 78 percent of women would decline an intimate rendezvous if they had not shaved their legs or underarms.
4. Feminist women are more likely than others females to be in a romantic relationship.
5. Two-thirds of people report that they fall in love with someone theyve known for some time vs. just met.
6. People telling their story of how they fell in love overwhelmingly believe the process is out of their control.
7. Falling in love can induce a calming effect on the body and mind and raises levels of nerve growth factor for about a year, which helps to restore the nervous system and improves the lovers memory.
8. Love can also exert the same stress on your body as deep fear. You see the same physiological responsespupil dilation, sweaty palms, and increased heart rate.
9. Brain scans show that people who view photos of their beloved experience an activation of the caudatethe part of the brain involving cravings.
10. The women of the Tiwi tribe in the South Pacific are married at birth.
11. The Love Detector service from Korean cell phone operator KTF uses technology that is supposed to analyze voice patterns to see if a lover is speaking honestly and with affection. Users later receive an analysis of the conversation delivered through text message that breaks down the amount of affection, surprise, concentration and honesty of the other speaker.
12. Eleven percent of women have gone online and done research on a person they were dating or were about to meet, versus seven percent of men.
13. Couples personalities converge over time to make partners more and more similar.
14. People are more likely to tilt their heads to the right when kissing instead of the left (65 percent of people go to the right!).
15. The tradition of the diamond engagement ring comes from Archduke Maximillian of Austria who, in the 15th century, gave a diamond ring to his fiancée, Mary of Burgundy.
16. Forty-three percent of women prefer their partners never sign love to a card unless they are ready for commitment.
17. People who are newly in love produce decreased levels of the hormone serotonin as low as levels seen in people with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Perhaps thats why its so easy to feel obsessed when youre smitten.
18. Philadelphia International Airport finished as the No. 1 best airport for making a love connection, according to a recent survey.
19. According to mathematical theory, we should date a dozen people before choosing a long-term partner; that provides the best chance that youll make a love match.
20. A mans beard grows fastest when he anticipates sex.
21. Verona, the Italian city where Shakespeares play Romeo and Juliet took place, receives around 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentines Day.
22. When we get dumped, for a period of time we love the person who rejected us even more, says Dr. Helen Fisher of Rutgers University and author of Why We Love. The brain regions that lit up when we were in a happy union continue to be active.
23. Theres a reason why office romances occur: The single biggest predictor of love is proximity. Familiarity breeds comfort and closeness
24. One in five long-term love relationships began with one or both partners being involved with others.
25. OK, this one may not surprise you, but we had to share it: Having a romantic relationship makes both genders happier. The stronger the commitment, the greater the happiness!
Laura Schaefer is the author of Man with Farm Seeks Woman with Tractor.
Get ready to experience real chemistry. Complete your personality test and get your FREE chemistry inspired matches today!